This qualification is intended for persons who are working at a supervisory level, or intending to work in supervisory level within the emergency services.
The qualification recognises the competencies of people who have the responsibility of performing management and supervisory functions relating to emergency services in the context of fire and rescue including risk and hazard identification at operational incidents.
It will enable learners to take charge in incidents in the workplace in order to make tactical spontaneous decisions. Learners will be provided with competencies to lower risks and mitigate negative circumstances thus increasing safety for the individual and the broader community. Learners completing this qualification will be able to conduct basic fire safety inspections, risk assessment fire investigations, and pre-incident planning using applicable legislation and evaluate safety plans. This qualification can further employment and/or advancement to a supervisory position in the fire and rescue operations environment and provides learners with knowledge and skills in meeting a range of emergency, fire and rescue needs. The qualifying learner will be able to supervise and coordinate the effective use of resources in the workplace.
On achieving this qualification the learner will be able to:
- Respond to and supervise fire fighting, rescue and hazmat incidents.
- Apply Incident Management System at an incident.
- Apply supervisory skills in the workplace.
- Coordinate and undertake workplace fire safety activities in accordance with applicable legislation.
- Conduct reinforcement training in the workplace.
- Provide customer service in an emergency service and fire rescue context.